Community Questions & Comments
The questions and comments below have been submitted through the form HW Elementary School Project Homepage.
"I just wanted to take a moment and share my support for this project."
"We love the Winthrop School location. It is a big reason we moved to Bay Road. We look forward to seeing the save Winthrop scenario. The other options are so highly unlikely to be approved by HW voters!"
- Will the committee plan to incorporate this new standard, ASHRAE 241, into their specifications and designs for each of the four scenarios being explored? Read the complete question HERE
- Why isn’t the option to only renovate Cutler being considered more seriously?
- Will you consider the neighbors around the schools and planting trees to maintain privacy?
- Do you know what is currently planned/under discussion for the heating system at the new school? Ie, natural gas boiler / heat pumps / geothermal?
- How many people are in the school building committee and how many of them reside in Hamilton or Wenham? Also, what criteria were used to select the HWRSD members that are part of the school building committee?
- Why doesn't the project team include anyone from Buker?
- Why did the original statement of interest developed by Thomas Geary in 2021 prioritize Cutler Elementary School and the consolidation of Cutler / Winthrop?
- When will the project committee be present for an open forum? Talking to the architects at a community forum was not as helpful as hearing how the decision would be made.
- At the open forum you mentioned that all three elementary schools need repairs. If the MSBA project only updates one school, what is the scope of work that is needed to make other schools safe?
- Many of the models presented do not serve ALL students in an equitable way. How can you ensure all students have access to an updated school building? Will putting students first be given as much weight as ensuring the building is sustainable?
- Q: One of the concerns I have about only renovating Cutler is that it would create inequity across HW elementary schools. However, the consolidation plan leaves Buker as is, so that school would then become “unequal.” How will this be justified?
- At one of the open forums, Eric Tracy commented that Option C was not really feasible and that this would become more apparent as we get further into the process. Why are we considering options we already know aren’t feasible?
- School Size Questions